Case Study 39: Sporting clubs and institutions
The Royal Commission held a public hearing in Sydney from Monday 4 to Wednesday 13 April 2016.
The public hearing inquired into the experiences of men and women who were sexually abused as children in sporting clubs.
The scope and purpose of the public hearing was to inquire into:
- The experiences of men and women who were sexually abused as children in sporting clubs.
- The response of Tennis Australia, Tennis NSW and the New South Wales Institute of Sport to allegations of child sexual abuse by a tennis coach.
- The response of Football NSW to allegations of child sexual abuse by a soccer coach.
- The systems, policies, practices and procedures in relation to child protection and for receiving, investigating and responding to allegations of child sexual abuse promoted and implemented by:
- Australian Olympic Committee
- Australian Paralympic Committee
- Australian Sports Commission
- New South Wales Institute of Sport
- Netball Australia
- Little Athletics Australia
- Surf Life Saving Australia
- Football Federation Australia
- Football NSW
- Tennis Australia
- Tennis NSW
- Cricket Australia
- Queensland Cricket
- A local Queensland cricket club
- Other related matters.
See all exhibits for this case study