- Terms of Reference
- Preface and Executive Summary
- Our inquiry
- Understanding child sexual abuse in institutional contexts
- Child safe institutions
- Support and treatment
- Particular institutions
- Beyond the Royal Commission
- Redress and civil litigation
- Criminal justice
- Working With Children Checks
- Interim report
- Case studies
The Royal Commission released the Criminal justice report in August 2017.
This report addresses part of paragraph (d) of the Letters Patent, which requires the Royal Commission to inquire into:
what institutions and governments should do to address, or alleviate the impact of, past and future child sexual abuse and related matters in institutional contexts, including, in particular, in ensuring justice for victims through the provision of redress by institutions, processes for referral for investigation and prosecution and support services.
It also addresses paragraphs (a) to (c) of the Letters Patent, which require the Royal Commission to inquire into:
- what institutions and governments should do to better protect children against sexual abuse and related matters in institutional contexts in the future;
- what institutions and governments should do to achieve best practice in encouraging the reporting of, and responding to reports or information about, allegations, incidents or risks of child sexual abuse and related matters in institutional contexts;
- what should be done to eliminate or reduce impediments that currently exist for responding appropriately to child sexual abuse and related matters in institutional contexts, including addressing failures in, and impediments to, reporting.
This report contains recommendations in relation to the criminal justice system’s response to child sexual abuse, including institutional child sexual abuse. The recommendations are directed to reform of the criminal justice system to ensure that the following objectives are met:
- the criminal justice system operates in the interests of seeking justice for society, including the complainant and the accused
- criminal justice responses are available for victims and survivors
- victims and survivors are supported in seeking criminal justice responses.