The Royal Commission will hold public hearings in Ballarat. The first public hearing commences on Tuesday 19 May 2015 and the second will commence on a date to be announced.
The scope and purpose of the first public hearing is to hear:
- From residents, students and others of their experiences of child sexual abuse by Catholic clergy and religious associated with the following institutions run by Catholic Church authorities in Ballarat:
- St Joseph’s Home, Ballarat
- St Alipius Primary School, Ballarat East
- St Alipius Parish, Ballarat East
- St Patrick’s College, Ballarat
- St Patrick’s Christian Brothers Boys Primary School, Ballarat.
- From residents, students and others about the impact of their experiences of child sexual abuse by Catholic clergy and religious associated with institutions run by Catholic Church authorities in Ballarat.
- From members of the community of Ballarat about the impact of child sexual abuse on the community of Ballarat.
- The response of relevant Catholic Church authorities to:
- the impact of child sexual abuse on survivors of child sexual abuse, their families and the community of Ballarat; and
- survivors of child sexual abuse, their families and the community of Ballarat following the conviction of Catholic clergy and religious for acts of child sexual abuse committed at institutions associated with Catholic Church authorities in Ballarat.
- From Catholic clergy who have been convicted of child sexual offences which took place within the geographical bounds of the Catholic Diocese of Ballarat.
- Any related matters.
Any person or institution who believes that they have a direct and substantial interest in the scope and purpose of the public hearing is invited to lodge a written application for leave to appear at the public hearing by 12 May 2015.
The public hearing will be streamed live to the public via webcast.
Due to limited room in the Ballarat Magistrates Court, an overflow area next door in the Ballarat Steakhouse has been set up with a webcast of the hearing for members of the public.