The Royal Commission held a public hearing in Sydney from Monday 16 September 2013 to Thursday 19 September 2013.
The scope and purpose of the hearing was:
- The response of the Scouts Hunter and Coastal Region and Scouts Australia to allegations and information concerning the conduct of Steven Larkins in relation to children between 1997 and 2001.
- The checks carried out by the then Department of Community Services in 1999 – 2001 on the suitability of Steven Larkins to be granted parental responsibility.
- The carrying out of a Working With Children Check concerning Steven Larkins by the then Department of Community Services in 2003 and the subsequent review of the assessment made by Commission for Children and Young People in 2004.
- The response of Hunter Aboriginal Children’s Services Corporation to information about Steven Larkins’ conduct in 2003 and in 2010 – 2011.
- Any other related matters.
The opening address of the Hon. Justice Peter McClellan AM, Chair of the Commission and Senior Counsel Assisting is available below.