The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse holds hearings to consider evidence about child sexual abuse in institutions, and to find out about failures and successes in preventing abuse.
The hearings are formal and follow a set of rules.
Public hearings in 2014
A number of Public Hearings are scheduled for 2014.
Public hearings in 2013
Four Public Hearings were held in 2013:
- Public Hearing – Case Study 4, December 2013. The final public hearing for 2013, in the fortnight beginning 9 December 2013, will hear evidence about the establishment, operation and review of the Towards Healing process by the Catholic Church. In addition, it will explore how that process works in practice with evidence from a number of people who have participated in it.
- Public Hearing – Case Study 3, November 2013. The third public hearing was held in the fortnight beginning 18 November 2013. It examined the handling of complaints and civil litigation concerning child sexual abuse in the North Coast Children’s Home by the Anglican Diocese of Grafton in 2006 and 2007.
- Public Hearing – Case Study 2, October 2013. The second public hearing was held in Sydney on Monday 21 October 2013 and examined the responses of YMCA and the Police to allegations made in 2011 that Jonathan Lord sexually abused children in the care of YMCA.
- Public Hearing – Case Study 1, September 2013. The first Public Hearing was held on Monday 16 September 2013 and looked at how organisations including Scouts Australia, Hunter Aboriginal Children’s Services and the then Department of Community Services responded to information and allegations concerning Steven Larkins, the former CEO of Hunter Aboriginal Children’s Services.
Each Public Hearing will be available for viewing live via Webcasts.
For more information refer to the Frequently asked questions or call 1800 099 340.
The Royal Commission held its first sitting at 10.00 am on Wednesday 3 April 2013 at the County Court of Victoria.
- View the webcast (available from 3 April 2013)
- View the image gallery from the first sitting (3 April 2013)
A transcript of the first sitting is available here.