Royal Commission returns to Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide

Royal Commission returns to Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse is returning to Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia this week to hear from people who suffered institutional child sexual abuse.

Commissioners will hold private sessions in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide from Wednesday 6 November 2013.

Royal Commission CEO, Janette Dines, said the Royal Commission has visited each of these cities a number of times due to the strong demand in each of these locations.

“Since we started holding private sessions in May, the Royal Commission has visited every State and Territory. Nearly 700 people have shared their experiences with a Commissioner in a private session so far,” said Ms Dines.

Ms Dines said the private sessions contribute significantly to the Commissioners’ understanding of the impact of child sexual abuse and how it might be prevented in the future.

“Private sessions show us where and how systems have failed children. By telling their story, victims can help to make institutions safer for children,” Ms Dines said.

The Royal Commission encourages people who have experienced sexual abuse as a child in an institution or witnessed child sexual abuse in an institution to provide details and information to the Royal Commission by:

If you need more information, including about support services, visit the Royal Commission’s website at www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au.

Media enquiries: (02) 8282 3966 or media@childabuseroyalcommision.gov.au.