The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse will hold a public hearing in Sydney, beginning on Monday 18 November 2013.
The public hearing will examine the response of the Anglican Diocese of Grafton to claims of child sexual abuse at the North Coast Children’s Home in Lismore and the policies and procedures of the Diocese in handling a group claim.
Royal Commission CEO, Ms Janette Dines, said the public hearing will focus on those who made claims to the Anglican Diocese of Grafton from 2005. ”This hearing will investigate whether the Diocese followed appropriate policies and procedures with respect to a group claim made by victims.
“It will examine how the group claim was settled and what occurred when former residents of North Coast Children’s Home came forward seeking compensation after the group claim had been settled,” she said.
The Royal Commission will also consider what disciplinary action and risk assessments occurred within the Newcastle and Grafton Dioceses of the Anglican Church concerning those who were convicted or accused of child sexual abuse at the children’s home.
“This historical example of institutional child sexual abuse will help the community to be better informed about how claims were dealt with by the Anglican Diocese of Grafton and is expected to highlight just how devastating and long-lasting the effects of child sexual abuse are,” Ms Dines said.
Members of the public wanting to attend the hearing can do so from 9:30am on 18 November at Level 17, Governor Macquarie Tower, Sydney. The hearing is expected to run for one to two weeks and will be streamed live to the public via webcast.
For more information, visit www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au or phone 1800 099 340.
Media enquiries: (02) 8282 3966 or email@example.com.