The Royal Commission held the final public hearing for 2013 in Sydney from Monday 9 December 2013 to Thursday 23 January 2014. The hearing focused on the experience of four Queensland residents who have engaged in the Towards Healing process.
The Scope and Purpose of the public hearing is as follows:
- the principles and procedures of Towards Healing adopted by the Catholic Church and their application in responding to:
- victims of child sexual abuse; and
- allegations of child sexual abuse against personnel of the Catholic Church.
- the experience of people who have engaged in the Towards Healing process; and
- any other related matters.
Public Hearings are formal hearings of the Commission which are open to the public. As it’s a formal event, certain rules and codes of conduct need to be followed by attendees. Read the Public Hearings Protocol factsheet at the top of this page for more information about what is expected of all attendees.
The opening address can be read below.
See the Witness List for Case Study 4, December 2013
See images from Case Study 4, December 2013.